Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Plantain Kebab (Kacchhe Kele Ke Kebab)

'Greens', the word is on demand and huge calls for it in terms of events in this blogosphere. A week back, my hubby got a big bunch of raw bananas/plantains saying that they'll ripe in a day or two and we can enjoy their sweeter, riper version, though I certainly had a doubt almost eating my brain up that how come these plantains will ripen that early!! I was no wrong as for two passing days, they remained as green as they were, and I finally decided to float on some kebabs with them. I had never tried any kebabs or cutlets with them by then, so it was a perfect launch of something new from me. I made them in two batches, one grilled, and the other shallow pan-fried. My hubby fell for the grilled ones more while I somehow relished the pan-fried ones at an edge. The basic recipe was the same for both, just the cooking method varied, and this eventually lifted my brain for an event that I'll announce shortly. 

PLANTAIN KEBAB/ KACCHHE KELE KE KEBAB

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking/Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes
Makes 6 kebabs


Ingredients:
1. Plantain/ Raw Banana: 2
2. Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
3. Garlic pods: 2 or Ginger garlic paste: 1/2 tbs
4. Green Chilly: 1 (finely chopped) - optional
5. Fresh Coriander leaves: 1/4 cup
6. Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
7. Garam Masala: 1/2 tsp (optional)
8. Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
9. Red Chilli Powder: 1/2 tsp
10. Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
11. Salt to taste
12. Oil: 1 tbs + for frying

Method:
  1. Boil the plantain/raw bananas in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles on medium to low flame (exactly like boiling potatoes).
  2. Peel off  the outer hard skin after they have cooled down. It's even easier than peeling off potatoes. 
  3. Take the inner pulp in a bowl and mash it well.
  4. Now take a pan and add 1 tbs oil to it. Once hot, add in cumin seeds and wait till they splutter.
  5. Immediately throw in the chopped onions and saute till they go golden brown. 
  6. Now add all the spices and give a quick stir.
  7. Add in mashed plantain and bring everything together. Cook for 2-3 minutes till it's all well mixed.
  8. At last, add the chopped coriander leaves and divide the dough in 6 equal parts. If you find it too hot to handle, let it cool down a bit.
  9. Make flat discs with it and keep them aside.
  10. If you plan to bake/grill them, pre-heat an oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes and line a baking tray with parchment paper or keep the grilling tray greased and ready.
  11. Transfer the discs to the oven and grill for 10-20 minutes till they are browned and golden.
  12. When choosing to shallow pan-fry, take a pan and add 2 tbs oil to it. Once hot, line up the discs and fry on medium heat till golden brown. Flip them over and fry on the other side as well.
  13. Take the kebabs on a plate and serve with green chutney or mint dip. You could also sprinkle some chat masala over them and gulp straightaway without any toppings or dip.
 

Suggestions:
  1. If you do not get plantains, you can use raw bananas, but make sure the bananas are not ripe at all. We need only raw ones/ plantains.
  2. You can also add 2 boiled potatoes to the mix to change the flavor. I somehow find plantains a bit pungent in taste, so potatoes could add in some flavor.
  3. The spices are all at your choice. I omitted garam masala because I personally don't like to merge it much in my meals owing to the heat it produces. But yes, Kebabs indeed taste better with garam masala. :)
  4. Deep frying is also an open option, making it oily and calorie loaded, though most of us don't prefer this sinful guilt. If deep frying, add 1 tbs of corn flour for better binding. 
 The recipe flies off to:
Kabab Mela  at Cooking 4 all Seasons, Gimme Green by Rosh,
EP Series: Herbs and Spices  by Erivum Puliyum, Holi Fest at Kalyani's space,
Comfort Food by Daily Cuppa, Lets Cook: Greens by Radhika
Spotlight- Colorful Holi  initiated by Indrani and hosted by Chandrani,
 Color n Sweet - Holi Fest by Preeti,
I'm The Star by  Veg Food and Me, Hot and Spicy Treats at Food Corner 

36 comments:

  1. raw banana cutlet looks yummy. nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never tried this, looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very yummy n healthy cutlets ,never had these before!!
    Thanx for linking it to my event!!
    Please contribute your entries (old or new )EP Series-Cilantro /Cumin Event

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey anjali...kebabs luk so yummmm...i jst luv kacche kelle ke kebab...i jst made it once longtime bk...wil try this out !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look absolutely fab.. i have always wondered how they would taste as kebab.. we have them as veggies & love it.This kebab is tempting me to give it a shot..Thanks anjali for linking it :)

    Ongoing Event: I'm a STAR

    ReplyDelete
  6. that z great idea Anjali, kebab with raw banana...sounds superbly delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband never like raw bana next tym I will prepare it without his knowlege..
    LOL
    Thanks linking 2 Holi Hai :)
    Ongoing Event
    "HOLI HAI"
    "BEAT THE HEAT"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absol fantastic!! Very innovative to come up with something like this from plantains...kudos Anjali! Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful recipe on my space. Has lifted my event up a notch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice!i have never cooked with raw banana before(the recipes i was given didn't really excite me).but this i really like......def. the pan fried version too......lovely recipe..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Banana cutlets looks very tempting..nice recipe with simple ingredients..will surely try the baked version :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kebabs look so delicious and soft. Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  12. Banana cutlet looks crunchy and yummy. Thanks for linking my event.

    Cuisine Delights
    My First Event - "COLOURFUL HOLI".

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look awesome Anjali :) thanks for linking !

    btw, if you want to link your recipes for Magic Mingle, you need to login as a member only.

    Email me your details etc so I can send you an invite.


    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
    Event : Bake Fest # 5

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooooooooooh.......very nice anjali!..never eaten this before!.....loving the picture as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super tempting kebabs, looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very interesting kebab with plantains..i always end up stir frying these..

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow fabulous kebabs dear, very innovative, they are so yummy :) wish i could munch these :)

    Join the Just "4" Fun event :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks very new n tasty.....awesome pics...nice presentation as always...
    Maha;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deliciously divine!! Amazing creativity! Very nice blog, Anjali.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am nwe to ur space nice to follow u..this looks awesome..i never had this ..very interesting..Please stop my space when ur free

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Anjali..thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. You have a lovely space as well..nice recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow!!they are inviting me to taste...:)Nice & delicious recipe..Thanks for sharing with my event...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ummm.. Love this recipe. Never had this boiled version before. Thnx for linking up Anjali.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks delicious and mouthwatering

    ReplyDelete
  25. yummy...a different dish for me..thanks for linking it to my event :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look soooooooooooo delicious!
    I've never tasted veg. kebab but I would definitely love to try
    Your photos are mouth-watering

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very tempting and wonderful kebab!! Thanks for linking to the event !!

    Ongoing event CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

    ReplyDelete
  28. so interesting because I did a plantain kebab also...but I used the ripened plantain
    http://gourmetglobal.blogspot.com/2012/02/plantain-paneer-kebab.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. awesome kebab....thanks for linking this recipe with my event

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice post and nice clicks..will add plantain to my grocery list just for this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kebab looks superb...u have a nice space...first time here and following you..

    ReplyDelete

When you smile, not only do you feel happy, but you bring a ray of light into the lives of others. Thanks for dropping by my space and blessing me with your beautiful smile. :)