Bland food! I just want to know your first reaction to these two words; some of you with your taste buds enticed and spiced would surely be reacting in a 'Nah' fashion and others who are deeply in love with their sensitive tummies or lifestyle would be perfectly alright with it. Well, if you ask my reaction, I am always a neutral bird who can go chilly-folly at times and better-keep-it-less the other time. But in all this dilemma of going for spices or not, the Indian within me will never let me run away from them and then surely an Indian version (though not very spicy, just balanced) has to emerge out for that so-called bland recipe.
I'm not sure about you guys, but I am a big time lover of Paav Bhaji and Bhel, so anything close to that can soon be transformed into any of them.
Now say about a week back, we had a very special guest from Romania who happens to be my husband's colleague, but for my daughter, she is someone who will really spoil her silly. Since she is not much in love with chillies and strong spices, so I had to screen for a menu that makes her fall in love with Indian food but at the same time matches her style too. So, there I was, shooting from the starters to the dessert and make her feel home. 'Corn' and 'Capsicum' happen to be her classmates I believe, because I usually find them in most of her recipes, so I was up with an Indian Style Corn Capsicum Salad; better call it 'Bhel'. :P
CORN CAPSICUM BHEL/ SALAD: (Microwave Method)
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking (Microwaving) Time: 5-7 minutes
1. Corn kennels: 2 cups (approx 200 gms)
2. Capsicum: 1 (very finely chopped)
3. Tomato (big): 1 (very finely chopped)
4. Onion: 1 (very finely chopped)
5. Coriander leaves/ Parsley: 3 tbs
6. Dried Mint leaves/ herb: 1 tbs
7. Lemon juice: 2 tbs ( of one lemon usually)
8. Salt: as per taste
9. Ground Pepper/ Black Pepper Powder: 1 tbs
10. Cumin powder: 1 tsp
11. Red/Black Salt : 1 tsp
12. Bhel Sev/ Aloo Bhujiya/ Regular Bhujiya
13. Green Coriander Mint Chutney (optional): 2 tbs
- Wash and boil/steam/ microwave the corn kennels till they go soft and tender. I usually microwave them for 3-5 minutes.
- Finely chop the capsicum, tomato and onion.
- Now add these chopped veggies to the corn.
- Throw in salt, black salt, cumin powder, ground pepper, parsley/coriander and dried mint. Mix well.
- Microwave for about 2 minutes.
- At last add lemon juice and fold.
- Spoon some chutney if you wish and blend it with the bhel.
- Finally serve it with crunchy bhel sev/ bhujiya on the top.
- I always prefer using the microwave but this can be prepared by steaming on gas stove also.
- Always add the sev/bhujiya towards the end, just before serving, else it will become soggy.
- This can be served hot or cold; just your wish!
- Do not steam/ microwave after adding lemon juice as it might pour in some bitter taste.
The recipe flies off to:
Srivalli's 365 Days of MW Cooking ,