Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dal Dhokli - A Rajasthani One Pot Meal

It's been a long time since I wanted to write this recipe. It reminds of my old good times at my mom's place before marriage, those lazy mornings, laid-back schedules, cozy evenings and long awaited Sundays... Aaaaaah.... Like most of you, my friends, I also dream of going back to those childhood days, and wish I feel them again with my doll growing and passing through that stage.
Now this recipe is really special to me because I have loved this food since my childhood and perhaps this is one out of those lucky ones whom I am all set and ready to consume even the next day if left over. 
I am just too delighted to finally write it, and for those who haven't heard about it, I sincerely request you ( I don't do that ever otherwise, but with this one, yeah!) to try this at least once and I bet it is going to be in your 'quick meals list' soon.

DAL DHOKLI

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients: 
1. Urad Dal Split: 1/4 cup
2. Moong Dal Split: 1/4 cup
3. Arhar/ Toor Dal (Yellow Lentils): 1/4 cup
4. Garlic: 3 cloves (big)
5. Onions: 2 (finely chopped)
6. Tomatoes: 3 (finely chopped)
7. Green Chilly: 1 (sliced)
8. Coriander Powder: 3 tsp
9. Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
10. Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
11. Red Chilli Powder: 2 tsp or as per taste
12. Asafoetida: a pinch
13. Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
14. Oil
15. Water
16. Coriander leaves (chopped)
17. Whole wheat flour/ Atta: 2 cups
18. Salt as per taste


Method:
  1. Wash the lentils/ dal well and take 2 whistles in a pressure cooker with sufficient water. Add turmeric powder and salt before boiling.
  2. Now take whole wheat flour/ atta and add 2 tbs oil, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and prepare a hard dough (like that of poori) with water.
  3. Make very small balls out of this, flatten them and press the center slightly to form an indent.
  4. Now transfer these balls to the half-cooked dal and take a whistle.
  5. Let's prepare the seasoning. Take 3 tbs oil in a pan and heat it. Add cumin seeds, followed by chopped onion and garlic. Saute till they turn light brown and are properly cooked. Add tomatoes followed by the spices and cook for 5 minutes till the oil separates.
  6. Now add this seasoning to the cooked lentil and dhokli mix. 
  7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve fuming.
Suggestions:
  1. The dal/ lentil combination depends on you. If you wish, you can make this with a single variety though I prefer to use multiple lentils to enhance the flavor and nutrients.

The recipe flies off to:

 

9 comments:

  1. Very tempting ,flavourful and filling dish..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had this once at some place and fell in love with it...Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Anjali...thank you for the sweet comment on my post...i really appreciate it and i too want to find more cake recipes that my daughter can have ...actually i just want her to outgrownthe allergy so that she can have anything she wants...
    you have a lovely space Anjali...and that comment u left on my blog was heartfelt...thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quite different and unique, I love this style of one pot meal, looks very yummy and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanx for sending it to my event. :)
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

When you smile, not only do you feel happy, but you bring a ray of light into the lives of others. Thanks for dropping by my space and blessing me with your beautiful smile. :)